potential <span class="highlight">stone</span> damage

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 02:04
ThreadID: 102578 Views:2917 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hello, all being equal our family will be doing our first outback tour in a couple of weeks, I have a number if queries for which I would greatly appreciate any advice.

sydney/white cliffs/birdsville/bedourie/boulia/plenty/alice

nissan elgrand (4wd, not very high, no low range), 96 cub camper x4kids+Missus

will only travelled recommended (safe) roads

GVM & GCM is an issue. 2650+950=2700, tare 2100+750.
x6 people = 350kg, payload =200+200. That’s seems not much. Oops +50l petrol + spare +50kg = payload 150+150kg. Total 300kg payload. Is that normal?

Have raised springs & airbags & BFG ATs. May be able to get camper rerated yprsdr

1) Should I take x1 spare wheel (instead of 2)?

2) How worried should I be if I exceed gross weight by say 200kg?

3) Regarding stone guard, on the afore mentioned roads, how necessary is a comprehensive stone guard & how extensively should I protect under body cables etc?

4) One more please/fuel at (unleaded) @ Tobermoray? (or only Boulia & Jervois)

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 08:31

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 08:31
1. Can never have too many spares. Balance between load and convenience. Be sure to at least carry a spare for both the vehicle and the trailer.

2. Being overloaded is not good (fuel,breakages, insurance, etc) but many travellers get very close or slightly over.

3. Stone guard will protect trailer, Put cardboard/corflute on back window of vehicle to protect back window from bounces off trailer. Under body cables should be protected. Use split conduit or something similar.. The vehicle and trailer will get gravel rashed. Travel slower on dirt roads to protect tyres and reduce flying rocks.

4. Don't believe there is any fuel at Tobermoray. Check that Jervois has unleaded (unsure as I have only bought Diesel there

Enjoy the trip. Plenty of traffic on those roads - You will not be alone.

Alan
AnswerID: 512493

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 08:35

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 08:35
Plenty Highway

I was wrong about fuel at Tobermoray.

Check the above link

Alan
FollowupID: 790904

Follow Up By: adrianjt - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 09:23
hi Alan, appreciate your post & esp. the link re tobermoray (I did search & read posts re above q's b4 asking, I sorta needed to know it all applied, of course it did!)

Trailer & vehicle have same wheels. For the sake of GVM I'm erring to one... I will phone thru Tobermoray & Jervois to double check.

Much appreciated, cheers Adrian

ps all several typos in original post a) 2700=3600, b) payload 500kg- wheel-fuel ie 400kg (ie 200 vehicle & 200 camper) c) yprsdr = tbc
FollowupID: 790906

Reply By: Member - Ann D (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 11:37

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 11:37
Adrianjt,

Do you mean 1 spare only or 1 for each vehicle?

If its one only look at getting a tyre case = lighter to carry,and if you get a blow out on 1 vehicle at least you will have a spare,even if you cannnot change the tyre off the rim some one else may be able to do it for you.

Have a great trip.

Ann D
AnswerID: 512497

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 11:49

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 11:49
Adrianjt,

Bit confused with "yprsdr = tbc" and all your numbers.

I think your point is that once the vehicle is loaded up with 6 passengers, there seems little available to carry the necessary luggage for said passengers. This is generally correct and most vehicles have a very poor payload for carrying extra stuff. Your experience is not unusual, hence the reason trailers are used. Once the trailer is included the GCM is also easily exceeded in small and midsize vehicles....
There are no simple solutions, but I do congratulate you on being aware of the problem, the weights and looking for solutions.

Leaving the 4 kids at home and all their gear will help save weight.... :-)
Being very frugal with what you pack, and where you pack it is one of the essential learning curves. Heavy cooking gear, stretcher beds, too many tools are easy traps.
Leaving home with good quality AT tyres that are less than 50% worn is a good starting point.

Enjoy your trip.

Tim
AnswerID: 512498

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2013 at 14:46
Hi Adrian,

After travelling on dirt roads with our previous van for 5 winters, using a variety of home made stone guards and still sustaining a considerable amount of small marks in the fibreglass surface, we finally ordered a Stone stomper for our new van before we set out on our current journey.
Although we have probably only travelled around 1000kms on dirt with it, it has already been fantastic and well worth the money spent. Prevents stones from hitting both van front and rear of Pajero and as well stops a lot of the dust or mud, depending on conditions.

Have a look here. http://www.stonestomper.com.au/
We found Christian wonderful to deal with and I am happy to recommend him and the product. Very satisfied customers.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 512507

Sponsored Links